Category Archives: Community

Experience

A common belief in life is that once you leave high school, you choose your field and essentially stick with it till you retire. Anyone who doesn’t follow this path is often looked down upon because they “quit” what they initially thought they would do. But just because you don’t follow through with something doesn’t mean you crashed the car it just means you took a wrong turn.

Jimmy Graham

Continue reading Experience

Advertisements

The Wheel Of Appearance Revolves Quickly

One of the most important things I have learned in all my years of school is how much people change. I knew people in elementary school that if I ever tried to connect with that person they used to be it would be futile because of how much they changed. I am no exception, in eighth grade I was 5’1 and 120 pounds and if you can’t already figure it out, out of shape. But just a year later I was 5’5 and a 125 pounds, and In much better shape because I had added a fair bit of muscle mass. One of my closest friends in elementary school, who shall remain nameless, used to be a very studious and lovable kid, once we reached middle school we began to drift apart and became a “nerd”, but today he is a big meat headed football player, and I’m not exactly sure if he maintained his grades but I’d bet he didn’t. While I do believe it is wrong to make broad generalizations about people, I feel as though putting it in relative terms such as “nerd” or “meat headed” makes it easier to see the change.

Continue reading The Wheel Of Appearance Revolves Quickly

Raining/Cold Weather And Its Stigma

Why do people not like to venture out into the world when it is raining? I believe that it is because of what we experience when we are children.

Our mothers (or guardians) have brainwashed it into our brains. They have placed a image that going outside while it is raining or cold will make you sick. That is a total lie. People get sick in the winter because people tend to hole up inside their houses and bacteria is spread all that easier. They do not have the proper ventilation in side of their homes and, what causes the most trouble is, the heating system. The dry air leads to dry nasal passage ways and that helps in giving viruses a “toehold” in your system. Read more here.

Continue reading Raining/Cold Weather And Its Stigma

Pessimism vs. Realism

An obvious difference between these two terms are their definitions. Pessimistic is defined as tending to see the worst aspect of things or believing that the worst will happen. Realistic is specified as showing a practical idea of what can be expected.

So why are they both used in the same light?

Nowadays, people of all ages have failed to differentiate the meaning of looking at a situation realistically and looking at it negatively.

Continue reading Pessimism vs. Realism

Army Ink

Not to long ago, the army said they were no longer going to allow those with tattoos to join and those in the army could no longer get tattoos. The very idea of this made me cringe. First of all I believe the social stigma that comes along with having a tattoo is completely unprecedented because for some people tattoos are strictly cultural and for others it is a way to prove their individuality through inking their bodies with a design that is significant to them. So, why then do people assume that those with tattoos are not good people. I believe this is because of the terrible habit that humans posses when one person does something bad we alienate the whole demographic that they belong too. An example of this is how people automatically assume that Muslims, or any person of color for that matter, are terrorists. It is the same thinking that goes into the decision to make tattoos because a few people made mistakes and happened to have tattoos we automatically develop this negative perception of anyone who has a tattoo.

Continue reading Army Ink

Prostitution And Its Illegality

(I am writing this blog from the United States)

Prostitution should be legal. This is just a straight, very reasonable fact. This is not from some weird self motive, but concrete logical thinking. Legalizing prostitution would bring change to the community in ways that we can only imagine.

The most prominent change that it would cause is the levels of STD’s to fall. This might sound counter intuitive, but statistics show otherwise. In Canada, where prostitution is legal, about .2% of the population is infected with HIV and in Germany, where it is also legal, it is .091%. In the United States the percentage of the population infected with HIV is 4.6%.

The number of people infected with HIV for every 100,000 persons.

Continue reading Prostitution And Its Illegality