Category Archives: Community

Old and Hard

I recently read a poem in which the main idea was to remain flexible, and its reason why was quite interesting. In the poem, it compared humans to plants because like plants in our early life we are small and bendable. I think the message that the writer was attempting convey in this comparison is that not only are babies fragile they are very receptive to new ideas and knowledge. The poem continued to compare older people to trees saying that they are stiff and rigid. The message in this comparison was that once people are older they are set in their old ways and do not accept new ideas, like a tree they are immovable.

An issue that this really got me thinking about is same sex marriage. Personally, I believe people should be allowed to marry regardless of race, gender, religion or whatever ridiculous reason people can think of. But, for some reason same sex marriage is not legal in everywhere and I believe the reason for this is older people’s views. The comedian Aziz Ansari put it the best when he said if you look at all the demographics against same sex marriage they’re all going to be dead soon, but if you ask young people they don’t care at all. So, going back to poem, old people are stiff and rigid like trees.So going back to the poem, that is why I believed it when it said old people are rigid and stuck in their old ways. The lesson to be learned from this is not only, to support the rights of homosexual people, but to be accepting of all lifestyles. Whenever you see something you don’t fully understand, don’t disregard it and call it wrong, but be like a sapling, be flexible and welcome the idea before you completely disregard it as wrong.

Advertisements

Power of the Tweet

In today’s world social media is more powerful than ever. Before, social media was just a way to communicate with people who you are friends with, or even people who you aren’t friends with and share the major events of your life. But, today social media is a huge part of people’s lives. For example, I start my morning by looking at Facebook and when I turn on my computer to do my homework, the first thing I do is turn on Facebook. Interestingly enough, for some people this isn’t even the half of that with the various social media outlets of today, it is considered anti-social to just subscribe to one of the sites. I have friends who have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Skype, and some sites I have never even heard of. But to most people, its no big deal to be a part of all of these sites.

My theory is that social media is so much more than just a way to communicate with others. Today social media is used for so many things such as promoting business, promoting yourself, following your favorite team, seeing the clothes your favorite celebrity wears and I am going to be posting this blog to twitter for class. Its as if when you are on social media you have super powers, you can argue with people you might never see in your life, you can see things you will never be able to see with your own eyes, you can observe the inner workings of some of the greatest minds of our time, as well as some of the most “interesting minds” of our time. Also your words have so much more power than ever before because you may not even know it but something you tweet, post, or share is now available for the whole world to see which I believe is why it is so attractive and so scary to people.

A final thought I want to leave you with is that even though you might be skeptical about joining social media, you might as well accept that it will be a necessity soon enough because not only is it in the social world, it is in the class rooms and the work place. So do yourself a favor make a Twitter and let the world hear your voice.-Tejas

The Best Is Yet To Come.

As a people we are obsessed with the best. My problem with that is that “being the best” is a relative term because you can only say something is the best out of what you know, when their is be more than you know and to come. For example, people used to think Michael Jordan was the best basketball player that would ever be but then came Kobe and Lebron and people thought twice before saying anything. So why, why do we still obsess over what the best is when we know someday there will be someone or something that is better than the best. My theory is that people can’t let there be things of equal greatness because then they don’t know what to root for. We can use my basketball example again because many people are fans of Lebron, Kobe, and Jordan for the simple reason that they are the best. Also I believe people like arguing over who or what the best is. I know I have argued with my brother on multiple occasions because we disagree on who is better Ronaldo or Messi. Also, if we were nearing the beginning of the NBA playoffs and you turned on sports center I can guarantee they will be comparing Lebron to Jordan.

https://i2.wp.com/www.newfranchisemall.com/Portals/85285/images/best%20of%20the%20best%201.jpg

The point I want to make with this seemingly incoherent paragraph is that their is no point arguing over the best. Their will never be a day where people will be able to say Jordan is the definitive best player in NBA history. Also, we may think Lebron, Kobe, or Jordan are the best but in a couple of years we will argue over the new stars in the NBA. But, of course this is just one example and the idea is that we can’t recognize anything as the best because we don’t know what the best is. So, instead of arguing about the best anything, save your breath because no one can truly know what the best is. A final thought I want to leave you with is that you shouldn’t only admire the best, but have a healthy respect for everything.-Tejas

Our Community As Grapes

Grapes.What a wonderful creation by God (or a great evolution). They are lustrous with flavor and are quite good for your health. The small, packed, bubble of greatness embodies(in a figurative way) what many consider the “man”. Like a grape, a man needs to be fun and nice to be around and once you “break the ice” (or break the skin in terms of a grape), you should get a extravagant burst of fun and wonderful times.

Just like the metaphor of a single grape being the “idol of a man”, a cluster of grapes do metaphorically symbolize our society. Grapes grow on their mother tree and they are nurtured there. Just like grapes, our mothers (or who ever took care of us) were our tree an they fed and nurtured us. As for grapes, the sun is their father, they are reliant on the sun, yet the sun didn’t give birth to them and are not only emotionally attached to them, but also physically attached.

Just like us, grapes grow up in  a community filled with peers. They grow in a cluster of other grapes and near by there are even more colonies. Their period of developing is just like ours and until they are at the perfect period of time, they are not good. If the grapes are too old, then they will be squishy and not as fun to eat. Just like them, children can often be annoying when they are young. Young adults in our society are fun to be around as they are always energetic and have great ideas, and old people have fun stories, but they cannot do much as their bodies wont allow them to.

As in our society, grapes have the occasional “sour grape”. These people (and grapes) destroy the world instead of helping it. A “sour grape” or a grape that is infected with a diseases infects other grapes in the proximity. A bad influence in our society taint the children and others that we come in contact on a day to day basis. These people are not needed in our society, but sadly they exist.

A community of grapes are a great analogy for our society. They show many characteristics that we show (figuratively). Everyone could learn a few things from grapes and how they act. Bottom line is. Grapes. Are. Awesome.